Blog Home: Home

2008-09-22

Promoting bike travel to the point of absurdity

SEATTLE, Washington - This sign appears in the International District, indicating the direction of a twelve mile bicycle route to the airport. Taking a bicycle to the airport! Where are you supposed to carry your luggage? If you pick someone up at the airport, do you put them on your handlebars?

This sign is right across the street from a stop for the 194 bus that will take you right to the airport. If you can't afford the bus fare, you probably have no business at the airport anyway. If you work at the airport and ride your bike there, you already know the route.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have many friends who already bicycle to and from the airport.

Imagine picking up your friend on a tandem, a bicycle built for two, with a trailer for the luggage.

I would have bicycled to the airport for short 1-2 day business trips if I had known that there was any secure long term bicycle parking at the airport.

It isn't as absurd as you might think. People do it every day. I have one friend who leaves his u-lock at the bike rack at the airport because he flys in and out so often for short work related trips.

I for one am thrilled at the new signage and intend to bicycle to the airport for my next flight.

Anonymous said...

I want to run you over when I am driving! You people slow me down.

Jeff said...

Imagine picking up your friend on a tandem, a bicycle built for two, with a trailer for the luggage.

I am imagining it. It looks ridiculous. Anything involving a tandem bike is absurd by definition.

The Unattractive Houseguest said...

The last place in the world I would ride a bicycle to would be the frickin airport. There's a message there, though. I'm just not sure I can decipher it yet.......